Thursday, September 18, 2008

spanish cookies > > > american cookies

spanish cookies are superior in every way to american cookies. the choices, the taste, the quality... although that is pretty much true of most food over here. For instance, today after class, I went wandering with four of the girls from my program in search of some good food in La Ribera. We chose this completely random place, but the food was so excellent. I won't elaborate on the subject of Spanish food (even though I could for quite some time)- but all I have to say is, it is amazing. The masterminds behind paella and tapas are geniuses.

Until tonight, this week has been very very calm (finally!), which meant some time to catch up on sleep, bad American TV, and reading. I really appreciated the chance to do all of these things, being that I've been running on overdrive since the first of september. On Monday, I had a chance to check out another amazing market, Mercat de Santa Caterina, with an abundance of fresh produce, meat, spices, etc. On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to see one of my friends from high school, Liddy, who was here on vacation with a friend for two weeks- since she has trimesters and does not start school until the end of the month. It was great seeing her, and traveling out to Western L'Eixample, farther out than I had been yet, and a nice neighborhood. Last night, I went to see "Che" with one of the kids on my program. The movie was great, but I could tell that I missed a lot of the dialogue, especially when the audience started laughing, and I clearly hadn't gotten the joke. It was definitely a good idea to try and see a movie without subtitles- I'd like to see one at the end of the semester, and see how my comprehension has improved. Today involved a fantastic lunch, as detailed above, and then traipsing around Passeig de Gracia looking for a bookstore and some good clothes shopping. We found both, and even some books en ingles!

Unfortunately, tonight has consisted of four hours (no joke) of work- preparation for a 30 minute presentation tomorrow, and an unrelated two-page paper. These were assigned yesterday. Spanish teachers have no concept of giving sufficient notice. At least the weekend is almost here. Tomorrow, we have an organized CIEE trip to el Museo Picasso (!!!!- i have wanted to go there forever). No other plans for the weekend yet, but...next wednesday...FC BARCA GAME. I could not be more excited.

bona nit! (as they say in catalan)
-andrea

P.S. for anyone who knows/cares... i might not be following the news in the states much, except for the fact that the philadelphia phillies are tearing it up. solid.

No comments: