Thursday, October 16, 2008

complaints- round one

alright, i'm always incredibly one-sided in my positive feelings towards barcelona. This is good and an accurate representation of my love for this place. However, I would not be myself if I didn't have some complaints. A lot of these are things that seemed quaint at first and now are just really annoying.

1) People here don't know how to walk. I know it's cool and European to amble around the streets at 0.25 miles and hour, but if I have to get somewhere, please move out of my way.

2) I get stared at every time I walk to the gym in my workout clothes. Um, why would I put on regular clothes only to go change at the gym, when I could shorten the process? Another example of Spanish inefficiency.

3) Things are never open. Want to go to the grocery store? Hm, make sure it isn't, you know, before nine in the morning or between one and three (sometimes four) or after eight (the midday break is for "siesta"...in my book that equals laziness). When are things ACTUALLY open here? Everything is also closed on Sunday. Didn't anyone inform the Spanish that Sunday is errand day?

4) Public displays of affection. People of all ages (really- this is potentially traumatizing). This upsets me enough in the United States, and here it is just taken to the limits of reason.

5) People get mad at you for paying for a 3 euro thing with a 10 dollar bill, usually in grocery stores. I'm sorry that I am not a walking change machine. If I were that obnoxious person paying with a 50, okay, understandable. But seriously, you have seven euros in change. It's not a big deal. Relax.

6) Cookie dough doesn't exist. Neither does peanut butter.

7) Smoking. In bars or restaurants, you sometimes find yourself trying to catch your breath and realize, it isn't because you just ran a marathon, it's because there's a bachelor party of 35 people all smoking, and then three pregnant women next to them, all smoking, and a group of ten year olds, all smoking. That's only a slight exaggeration.

8) It is difficult to walk down the street without someone trying to sell you a flower, a light up spinny toy, an umbrella, or beer. This is even less amusing if you're trying to enjoy dinner in a restaurant and some guy keeps shoving roses in your face.

9) Clubs think it is hilarious to hire people to dress up as horror movie characters, Indians, warriors etc. to "entertain" the guests. This is not entertaining, this is annoying, and does not enhance my club-going experience.

That's all I've got for now. Sorry Barcelona, I still love you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just been catching up on old blog entries i've missed... this entry made me laugh, mostly because i could hear you speaking it in my head. so true though. i can definitely relate to the slow moving people, the 3 hr siesta/things being closed all the time, and the people shoving roses in your face at a restaurant! i can't wait to share those annoyances with you (as well as lots of awesome things) in a few weeks!