Wednesday, October 22, 2008

new picture site / lazy weekends in barcelona

for those of you non-facebook users, you can finally access my pictures! the address is: www.photobucket.com/andreamlowe/ - i've only put up the highlights to make both of our lives easier. i haven't taken pictures in awhile, but more to come this weekend, when our program takes us to Madrid. Speaking for myself, I haven't had the chance to travel anywhere else in Spain, so it will be nice to see the capital of the country, and check out a city twice as big as Barcelona (and, you know, the Prado). There is also talk of a possible trip to Valencia for halloween weekend, and a trip to Andalucia (south of Spain- possibly Sevilla and Cordoba) for the end of November and early December. If that works out, it would be a pretty nice survey of what Spain has to offer.

The past week has been the most uneventful in the almost two months (!!!) that I've been here. After the five-day Italy excursion immediately followed by three days in Stockholm, I really needed to relax, catch up on work, and sleep. And that is exactly what I have been doing. It's been fun though- I checked out a few more museums and neighborhoods while Mimi was here and got together with Democrats Abroad on Thursday night to watch the debate. The weekend, as I said, was very relaxed. On Friday, we found this store that sells American/British food called "A Taste of Home"- where we promptly stocked up on cookie dough and peanut butter. You know, essentials. We then ate said cookie dough the following day, when we crashed Kim's homestay for an afternoon of laziness and Almost Famous (I was the only one who had seen it! blasphemy). Like I said, pretty chill weekend, with a couple really fun nights out for Sarah's birthday, which we celebrated again two nights ago with dinner at a Mexican restaurant- my first non-Spanish food in Spain, which I very much appreciated for the high-quality guacamole, and the actual spice and hotness of my food. People in Spain seem very hesitant to cook spicy things.

Most importantly, I went to the oldest bar in Barcelona, where Ernest Hemingway (and Picasso, Gaudi, etc.) used to hang. My cool factor has increased exponentially.

also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DEAR SISTER WHO IS TWENTY-THREE TODAY.

2 comments:

Robin Carol said...

was it four gats??

Unknown said...

thanks for the birthday shout-out, btdubs!